The Parish was formed in 1866 when the original Parish of Carlisle City St Cuthbert split into St Cuthbert Without and St Cuthbert Within. “Without” identified that the Parish was the part of the ecclesiastical Parish of St Cuthbert’s Church (Carlisle) that was outside the City boundary or walls.
St Mary’s Church, Wreay (built in 1842) is noted for its architecture as is St Ninnian’s Well which was the site of an ancient well dedicated to St Ninnian and rebuilt by Sarah Losh. Sarah Losh was an architect and designer in the 1830/40s who lived in Wreay and her achievements are celebrated at the Sarah Losh Heritage Centre, Wreay.
Carlisle’s Racecourse has been located at Blackwell Village since 1904. It is a racing venue for flat racing in the summer and National Hunt racing in the winter.
The West Coast Main Railway Line runs through the Parish and at one time both Wreay and Brisco had railway stations.
The Parish has seen many boundary changes (mostly due to the expansion of Carlisle) and the absorption of Wreay Parish in 1934. Expansion of Carlisle continues with Carleton becoming a significant suburb. The population of the Parish has increased from 2,043 (2001 Census) to 3,422 (2011 Census).